Top investment priority?
If you were the scientific advisor to a $100-billion venture capital fund with a 100-year time horizon and a goal of averting a dangerous level of global warming, which would you recommend as the top priority for investment?
* Carbon capture and storage
* Energy efficiency (including smart grids)
* Natural gas
* Next-generation nuclear power (Generation III and 3+)
* Centralized renewables (geothermal, hydro, solar, wind, biomass)
* Distributed renewables (geothermal, hydro, solar, wind, biomass)
* Solar radiation management
* None of the above is needed (no significant global warming is likely to occur this century)
Thanks for your feedback. This question will appear, with suggested modifications, in Q4 2013 poll.
Brian Morsony commented
Should there be an option along the lines of "None of these will avert a dangerous level of global warming"? Also, dangerous = 2 degrees C?