I propose ...

Has Kyoto Protocol slowed global carbon emissions?

FULL QUESTION:
Has the first phase (2008-2012) of the Kyoto Protocol, the only international binding treaty on emissions cuts, slowed global carbon emissions?

ANSWER OPTIONS:
Yes
No

Please comment or vote on the usefulness of this question. Thanks.

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    moderatorAdminmoderator (Admin, visionprize) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alastair McDonaldAlastair McDonald commented  · 

Global CO2 emissions did not slow after the Kyoto protocol was signed. Any savings that were made by the signatories were wiped out by increased emissions from the non-signatories including the USA, China and India.

A question which can be answered with a value judgement rather than a factual answer would be: If the US had agreed to the Kyoto protocol would emissions have fallen?

• The_Iceman_ComethThe_Iceman_Cometh commented  · 

I think this is not a very good question, because it requires some knowledge of the business as usual case. If emissions rose, was the rise slower than it would otherwise have been? So it is not in the least clearcut even if you had all the information.

• Brian MorsonyBrian Morsony commented  · 

Could we have a wide range of choices, such as "yes, it has significantly slowed carbon emissions", "yes, it has slightly slowed carbon emissions", "no, it has had no global effect", "no, it has increased carbon emissions"

• moderatorAdminmoderator (Admin, visionprize) commented  · 

We're not sure what we infer from a yes or no here. No could mean that it failed because of the science or failed because nations didn't do what they said they would. Needs work. Further comments welcome.

Feedback and Knowledge Base